Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:29:30 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Cat Plat Heater Stats

My apoligies for not having done this right the first time... the following info was requested by numerous people:

Manufacturer: Thermal Systems, Inc. 2757 29th St. S.W. Tumwater WA 98502 (206) 352 0539 (206) 943 6442 (fax)

Heaters:

Model: 3p12A: 3,000 btu, .5 amp. per hour, 1/8 lb. fuel per hour; 14"x12"x51/2" designed to be installed in a cabinet but i attached legs (made from 2x4)and small platform (1/2 inch ply wood 6x12) so it is free standing or props nicely on steering wheel. PRICE: was about $300 3 years ago when i bought mine.

Model: 6p12A: 5,200 btu, .5 amp per hour, 1/4 lb. per hour, about 30% larger in size (i have seen them but do not own this size).

.5 amp is equivalent electrical draw of a flashlight bulb.

1/8 lb. fuel consumption per hour means that a standard 1 lb. fuel bottle like they sell in sporting good stores for portable butane lamps for from $1.65 (costco) to $3.00 (gas station mini marts) lasts 8 hours if the heater runs constantly.

I love the heater. It uses so little power, gives of such nice heat, is vented and is totally safe. However, I use it in a way it wasn't intended to be used. It is made for a more permanent installation. There are several things that you must be careful about...and it does take some initial handy work to make it a portable. Once you get it the initial installation stuff finished, though, it is simple to use and takes less than 5 minutes to pull out of its storage/travel box and set up for use.

Here's the stuff you need to know before deciding whhether to get one:

STAND & VENT: It is a hassel to build the stand and the insert for the driver's window for the exhaust vent i previously described. If you do not have tools and some basic skills, you will need help with this part of it.

ELECTRIC: It comes with a wire harness you connect to the battery. This includes the thermostat, which you mount permanently on the wall (I put mine up by where the passenger shoulder harness comes down from its high point). The heater has a plug that plugs into the harness when you use it, and you just unplug it when you aren't using it. You can tuck the harnesss under the seat out of the way when not in use.

FUEL: Mine did not come with a regulator or fuel hose. I bought these used for $5.00. I got a standard hose for use with those camping propane canisters. (You could also use a hose hooked directly to your camper tank with a couple in it). There is a DANGER here. As you may have seen on the list, you cannot let a propane canister tip over or upside down while the heater is in use, or you will ruin the heater and could cause a fire. I put mine in the little well area down by the driver's door (the step that is lower than the carpet area.) It is out of the way and has never come close to tipping over in 3 years of use. You could building a little box to sit the canister in to be extra safe.

THE PLATINUM BLANKET: The front of the heater has a blanket-like material that contains the platinum...this is what causes the low temp. combustion (lower than a fire, that is) and what heats. You have to be somewhat careful not to let dirt and such to contaminate it or for other things to touch it directly (which is easy since it is behind a gaurd). I left my heater outside once when a dust storm blew up while we were in the desert...never seen anything like it....anyway, my platinum element got ruined as it was full of sand and dirt. I had to buy a new element.

PERFORMANCE: If you regularly camp in temps below 25 - 30 degrees and must have inside temp of more than 60-65 degrees with the pop-top up, the 3,000 btu may dissapoint you. With the pop top down and two people inside, 60-65 degrees can be maintained at temps down around 20 degrees. We camped with poptop up at 6 degrees outside (at teton village ski area) and we were very comftorable down in the main cabin but once my friend climbed up top to his winter bag (cold up there) and i retired to my feather bed downstairs, and our body heat no longer contributed to the heat, the temp inside dropped to around 45 degrees (on that cold night), but nether of us were cold, and all i had was blankets...we camped like this for a week.

DISCLAIMER: the propex may be a better deal...if (1) it heats better, (2) does not draw so much power that you have to recharge the battery frequently, (3) fuel consumtion is not too high. They are very different set ups ... and the price difference does not seem that great ($300 for cat plat $450 for propex, according to list group purchase price). The cat plat is probably better for more remote situations where fuel and battery life are more impt. or if your under-seat storage is important, or if you want a portable set up that you only take along when you need it. It's hard to judge as i haven't heard a performance review on the propex. I love the cat plat...it is a joy to have along on winter trips even day trips....has performed reliably for 3 years and makes me smile...

thankfully i have nothing more to add...hope this answers your questions...