Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Oct 1997 00:54:29 EDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>
Subject:      bike rack addendum

Hey all, Couple things I forgot on the first bike rack post:

1) I don't have a trailer hitch, and I won't be installing one so I suppose trailer hitch bike racks are out of the question

2) I notice RMMW sells a rack that supposedly fits the Vanagon. I wonder if anybody has had any experience with it? Here is their description:

Ultra-Versatile Bike/Ski Rack: "Get out to the great outdoors no matter what the season, with this great combination Bike Rack and Ski Rack. Constructed of enamel-painted tubular steel, with a protective vinyl coating on the support arms and thick foam rubber cushions on the contact areas. One of the few accessory products we've seen that has achieved the prestigious German TUV safety certification. Attaches quickly and easily to your Volkswagen, while securely carrying up to three bikes or two sets of skis."

The photo in the catalog shows the rack mounted on the decklid of a Beetle. It supposedly fits all Beetles, all Buses, all Type 3s and all Vanagons. It lists for $74.95, which seems suspiciously low considering the prices I've been getting from you folks here on the list.

Does anyone know about the quality of this unit?

Sean