Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:47:51 -0500
From:         "Fast, Timothy" <FASTTH@PHIBRED.COM>
Subject:      Expansion Coolant Tank

For quite some time now my 88 westy has been loosing coolant from the expansion tank. After just a few days of city driving the expansion tank is bone dry. There does not appear to be any leaks at all. Here is the curious thing: The temp gauge is showing normal operating temps (just above the red LED on the gauge). The secondary expansion tank (the one connected to the expansion tank with some kind of sending unit on top is always filled with coolant. I noticed that around the sending unit there is a small amount of coolant leak. I removed the expansion tank to see if it was cracked it looked to be solid. I filled it (removed) with water and there are no drips. However on top of the tank I noticed that there are three small holes on a tab that extends up from the tank. Should there be some kind of cover that plugs these holes? Could the coolant be evaporating out of the tank through these holes (due to engine heat)? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim Fast 88 Westy ("The Battle Bus") West Des Moines, IA