Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:14:18 -0600
From:         KW <kokopelli@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Westy- gas tank full o'schmutz - LONG
Comments: To: "Michael D. Landis" <mlandis@WATERVALLEY.NET>

Hi Mike,

My 82 was doing the same thing. When I bought the van, the PO guy said not to overfill it. While driving home I ran out of gas. The PO was obviously hiding the fact that the gas tank was rusted through. When I filled it the first time, gas flowed everywhere.

I ended up replacing the tank with a junkyard tank and now I do not have big rust wholes but I did have the symptoms you describe. I have internal rust. I pulled the tank and took it in but the design is Bad.

You see the tank actually has a small reservoir area where the fuel line sucks up fuel. It is at the very lowest part of the tank and is isolated from the rest of the tank by a steel wall with a small center hole to allow gas in. Look under the vehicle at the tank. The concentric rings in the middle of the bottom of the tank is this isolated area.

Part 1 I believe that when the tanks sit for extended periods (as in a junkyard or someone's backyard) that moisture collects in the tank and condenses through temperature changes and seasonally. The water then collects in the bottom of the tank and drains into this low area.

Now we have water down in that little circular area of the water tank. Over time the steel oxidizes and you have rust near the pick up to the fuel lines.

The rust goes into the line and blocks the filter. I went through about three filters in 2000 miles. Like three weeks for one.

OK what to do. (Or what I did, YMMV and all disclaimers) I pulled the tank this last spring. You're replacing all those bizarre fuel vent lines and gaskets anyway right??

I took the tank to a tank repair shop, they couldn't figure out what to do. The upper interior of the tank was very clean with little rust. They wanted to cut a new whole and put in a new pick up tube. I said no! They did not want to coat the inside since all the vent and return lines could be plugged.

I took it to a car wash and shot the high pressure wand through the little whole into the lower rusted section. Chunks of rust came flying out. I did this until I felt I had removed enough rust and debris. I let it dry in the sun for days while I replaced all fuel lines and gaskets.

PART 2 By the way, the gaskets may have contributed to this demise. When I pulled the expansion tanks in the wheel wells to replace those hoses I realized the seals on top of these tanks were bad which had allowed water from wheel spray to enter the expansion tank which as you know drains back into the gas tank. MORE WATER and dirt IN TANK which plugs filters. More rust potential.

When I replaced the tank some debris was in the inlet line from the high pressure shower. I blew it back into the tank using a bicycle pump. It took a good 45 - 50 psi to move the blockage.

I have driven now all summer maybe 2000 miles and changed it one time. Hopefully the debris is mostly gone. A new tank would be cool though. Good luck. Your condition sounds very similar. Sorry so long.

-- Ken Wyatt 82 Westy Salt Lake City, UT