Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 1997 03:21:29 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Fw: Towing a Syncro-Consensus

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 84 Vanagon, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN bpremack@wavetech.net

---------- > From: Budd Premack <bpremack@wavetech.net> > To: Vanagon@gerry.sdsc.edu > Subject: Towing a Syncro-Consensus > Date: Friday, October 24, 1997 3:16 AM > > Thank you to ALL 11 of you who responded to my info request. The huge > majority (7) agree that towing of a Syncro is okay IF all four wheels turn > freely on the ground. This means no use of slings, hooks, or anything else > that lifts only one end. It should be noted that all Syncros (to my > knowledge) have manual transmissions. If there exists an automatic Syncro, > it seems to me that it should be placed on a flatbed or trailer, and > gingerly moved to various VW shows as a wonderful curiosity. > > The old fashioned towing style, using either a strap or a chain, works fine > for those of us who prefer free-of-cost techniques. (Querry: If you own a > Syncro, why in heck are you concerned with low cost repair methods. No > matter how hard one tries, it seems repair costs are exponential to those > of other vehicles.) > > In my experience, towing seems to work best when the front of the tow line > is attached to the rear end of a Vanagon which is older than that of the > "towee". > > Caution is also urged by all list respondents to be prudent about speed > (under 30 mph) and distance. (Don't tow any further than you could bike > when you were 13 seems to be a reasonable consensus.) > > A vocal minority (2) claim that it simply is not worth the risk to tow at > all, and use of a flatbed is the only alternative. > > (2) cautious souls think 4 wheel towing is probably ok, but urge the use of > a flatbed, "just to be sure". > > Everyone agrees that having only two wheels rolling (any two wheels, you > pick 'em) is the fastest way to a mortgage sized repair bill. > > What did I do after considering all of this advice? I simply followed the > path of least resistance and temporarily fixed the offending malady. Then > I drove home carefully with an escort (Vanagon, natch) following me. Now I > can permanently repair my Syncro and not have to make the towing choice > after all. (My personal vote goes with the majority, with all due care for > speed and distance.) > > I hope this discussion is useful for any other Syncro owners who may face > this issue. It certainly was helpful for me. > > BTW, since almost all of the 11 well-considered responses came to me > privately, I will share them with any listee who requests copies. > > Thanks for all of your help. > > Budd Premack > 86 Syncro, 84 Vanagon, 73 Super > Minneapolis, MN > bpremack@wavetech.net