Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:51:08 -0700
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      brakes/rotors/etc.
Comments: cc: dave@V-DUB.MUSA.COM

Hi,

Prices for cross drilling are often advertised in HotVWs as part of the package deal. I seem to remember something like another $50-$100 for 2 discs. MSDS is NOT cheap, ie. OE rotors are $30-50 each, good shoes $40, good pads $60 and SS brakelines (4) for my Porsche cost $60/set. You could probably do it cheaper yourself. I'd skip the cross drilling, it's for heat dissipation primarily, not braking.

Try new rotors and drums, best pads available, semi-metallics, and good shoes. Make sure both the wheel cylinders and disc pistons are working freely (this is often overlooked). The stock brake system will amply slow down a vanagon fast. Cross drill later if you must. What about slots? ;). Which brake pads are best for vanagon is often debated. Check with Dennis Haynes. The dealers ones are very good BTW, and should be considered a base-line. I've smoked 2 sets of $35 FLAPS ones without trying. Semi-metallics give a firmer pedal and better grab. I have them on my crewcab @3600lbs., locks up 197/75 tires on dry pavement without serious effort. Stiffer pedal gives better modulation too. Must do the Syncro @5200lbs. next. Supposed to be harder on rotors, but they are 3-4 year disposable items IMHO anyhow.

my 2 cents for ya, tim