Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:49:38 -0300
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      /syncro/  tires & wheels

Hi All,

an FYI for Syncro owners....

using Audi steel rims (OEM), in 6x15 with ET45 (45mm offset) I was able to squeeze 235/75/15 BFGoodrich Mud Terrains onto my Syncro without any vehicle mods. They _just_ fit. 1/4" gap at inside corner of rear trailing arm (hence mud buildup), same gap at front upper A-arm. 1/2" gap by lowest part of front fender lips, touchs on the screw head holding my mudflaps when cornering and bouncing. I could move the screw and cut back the mudflap, but it barely touches. No more tire chains for deep snow, but the MT's shouldn't need them. Previous tires were Y370's, all seasons.

Performance... Derek Drew forwarded my note to him on this. Not enough loss of off road performance to bother me, but crawling is done at 15% faster rate!, likewise torque is down by 15%. So I chug along at 1500 RPM in low now, not 2000. I just make sure when hillclimbing I'm on the power at 3200RPM, at 2000RPM now it will bog. In low it can still spin all 4 wheels in a steep climb on dry loose stuff, that's good enough for me. Derek once suggested going for the lower TD-16 gear ratio for the ring and pinion, that would be excellent. Likely pricey unless good used stuff from Germany was avail. I'm down 15% in wheel torque now, a Subaru or TDI swap should fix that... someday soon ;).

Bottom line... This setup is not practical on truly daily basis, more play based :) :). The added 2" of clearance (over stock), better approach/depart angles and LARGE lugs have made the off-road part WAAAY better. Perhaps same sized BFG in 'AT' style would have been a better tread choice? naawwww! I've kept the Y370's and will use for any longer trips etc. I walk to work so this isn't a major prob. I figure the absolute biggest tire that will fit the Syncro-14 may be 30x9.5, with front fender clipping and lips added. Anyone?

bye, Tim

'87 Syncro Westy, with big boots

PS: check the IMPEX webpage for Audi rims, $70 for what appear to be the ones I'm using. Mine were at dealer cost, $50Cdn each new, dealer retail price was $135 (absloute crooks!)