Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Oct 1997 12:41:00 -0500
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: New German Tents for Vanagons/Buses
Comments: To: Helmut_Zeidler@notesmail.nokia.com

In a message dated 97-10-27 04:38:11 EST, Helmut_Zeidler@notesmail.nokia.com writes:

<< That's a nice price, REIMO offers their catalog for DM 5.00 (US$ 2.83) German shipping and DM 12.00 (US$ 6.78) shipment outside Germany. If you are interested, take Steve's offer and save a lot of time. Or you may check the small REIMO web site:

http://www.mow.net/camping/reimo/

>I am planning on placing an order in about 2 weeks. e-mail me back for >pricing information/questions, or e-mail from my web pages. And let me know >if you are on the type2/vanagon list. I'm missing price information on your web site. This is a main item to deal with. On my knowledge, REIMO requires 1/2 of the tent price for shipment on individual orders. Check Joe Clark's tent page to find '96 REIMO prices and ordering numbers.

http://www.supernet.net/~jclark/vw/tents.html

BTW, REIMO is a reseller of several tent manufacturers. I'm just collecting addresses and will let you know about this via Joe's tent site soon.

Helmut '80 Camper (Vanagon mailing list) >>

To Helmut, I would love to get in direct contact with one or two of these companies. I have tried to contact Mehler, but they have not responded.

To the list, I am offering the catalogs at a slight loss to try to keep the price down. I ordered them with my tent purchase a few weeks ago, and I still have about 15 catalogs left. I am also sending their camper catalog at no additional cost.

I have made special arrangements with Reimo to resell their accessories here in the US. Reimo gives me around 30% off their list prices.

Ordering and importing is difficult at best. I have to send payment in advance for the items and arrange shipping myself. To send payment, I have to have a check cut in German Marks, or do a wire transfer. The bank charges $20 to $35 for either of these.

If my order is less than $1200 US, I can clear it through customs myself without a broker. I am supposed to pay duty at around 10%, but my tent and catalogs were less than $300, and they didn't charge me anything and I'm not sure why.

If the order is greater than $1200 I have to have a broker clear it, and they charge fees. So I plan to keep the orders under $1200.

I checked into several different shipping methods. UPS wanted $700 to ship my order. Overseas freight was $250 minium, plus handling fees. I found a shipper we use here at work, and had my tent and catalogs shipped air freight for $129.00. The total weight was a little over 100 lbs.

Those of you who I have sent pricing to can understand why I don't have pricing on my web page. I have to consider the exchange rates, the shipping fees, import fees, and how many orders I can ship together.

Joe Clark's site is a great resourse, but the Reimo pricing there is list price only. I also believe that some of the Reimo tents there are no longer being offered. Joe does have a link to my web pages, as I have a link to his from mine.

I am also offering to place an order for the type2/vanagon list members at cost. But I want to do this one time only. If I order again in the future, I would have to put a small charge on each order to cover my costs.

I would be happy to put list pricing with the tents if everyone thinks it would help.

Steve http://members.aol.com/tentinfo