Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Oct 1997 18:38:48 EDT
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: fan aux switch how to?
Comments: To: dbelick@PEAPOD.COM

Here is the way I did it. 1> Unplugged fan relay. Removed its cover and drilled a hole in the top. 2>I inserted a rubber grommet in this hole and fed four wires through. 3> I soldered these four wires to the four connections in the relay which are +12v, ground, relay control and relay output. Replace cover. 4>I used a momentary contact push button with a light in the button. I intended for the light to show me when the fan came on normally. 5> I connected the light to the ground and relay output wires. 6> The switch contacts went to the other two wires; +12v and relay control. 7> I mounted the switch in the blank spot you mentioned and plugged in the relay. Now for test drive. When I hit 40mph I noticed an unexpected result; the light was on! I stopped at a red light and it went off! It dawned on me that the fan motor was working like a wind powered DC generator. In the last two years I have not really needed the extra cooling but its nice to have. The fan powered light lets me know the motor can free-wheel i.e. not froze up. This is useful since in the five years I have owned the vehicle I have only heard the fan come on twice. Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis <Kernersville NC, The Heart of the Triad> 86 VW Transporter Three Door Pickup 60 Porsche T-5 Coupe 85 VW GL Vanagon<Elvis>lives again!

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:09:12 -0500 Dan Belick <dbelick@PEAPOD.COM> writes: >Has anyone wired an auxiliary on switch for the radiator fan? I'd >like to be able to be proactive about the overheat situation by >turning on the fan. This would be used when stuck in traffic, using >a drive thru window, etc. Can you tell me how to wire it in, what >sort of switch to use, etc.? I thought I'd use an extra rocker >switch like the one the rear window defroster uses. > >thanks in advance for any help, > >-Dan >84 Adventurewagon 1.9 >