Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Oct 1997 11:20:52 -0800
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Charging Second Battery

I installed a new optima under the drivers seat...it is 65 amp hrs., which i suspet is much more than my starting battery under the passenger seat.

When I installed the aux battery, I RAN a wire from the #30 post of the relay under the seat to the positive terminal of the battery so that the aux battery would charge while driving.

I also hooked up a 1.5 amp trickle charger to the aux battery only

I also had a solar charger already installed which i unhooked from the starter battery and connected to the aux battery

My question: I am concerned that when i am driving, the main battery under the pass. seat will come to full charge before the aux battery, since the aux battery is 65 amp hours and thus will take more time to charge....and it will also be more depleted .... with the result being that either the main batttery will get over charged or the aux battery will get under charged. I suspect there is an easy solution to this, but i need help.

I would also like the trickle charger to charge both batteries, but again the above concerns.

Thanks for any help tha can be rendered

Steve

89 westy syncro san francisco