Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:44:15 -0800
From:         Michael Jarvis <mikej@PRINTRAK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine removal

Thanks Doug! Great info. I knew there'd be a way to do it.

Now, about that dolly -- does the rear end need to come up to get the engine under the bumper and everything, or is it so flat it just skates on by? I'm sure the rear comes up a bit without the weight, but do I need to lift the chassis, block the wheels up, use ramps?

Have you read about Steve (V6anagon) Maher's lift? He puts 2x4s over the engine compartment and sets a floor jack OVER the engine, then lets the engine down with a chain slung over the jack-plate. What is this guy, GERMAN or something? Now that's engineering! Gotta love it.

One more question for all -- what parts to buy before the swap -- aka, stuff that might as well be replaced "since the engine's already out" kind of parts (clutch, etc).

---------- From: db25 To: Michael Jarvis Subject: Re: Engine removal Date: Monday, October 27, 1997 3:16PM

I R&R my first VW motor last January. I have pulled many engines, but never lowered a rear engine. I must admit that using a lift and lowering the engine made life very easy. I spent some time and made a furniture type dolley out of 2 by 6's and some casters. I used some chain and a 2 by 4 to hold the transmission (automatic) in place, unbolted everything and lowered the beast down. It worked slick. Rolled the engine out from underneath, traded the bad engine to the new one bolted on the parts that needed to be swapped and then rolled it back under and lifted it into place. That just took about two minutes to tell you, but in reality it took me about 4 or 5 hours. I spent a lot of time preparing for the swap, buying all the parts I thought I would need. Made the actual job go faster. The good part is I only had one day rental on the hoist. It wasn't bad at all to do. I hope I don't have to do another one for a long time, because these engines are not cheap. I went with a VW remanufactured and spent about $2100.00, but I don't regret it at all. My wife on the other hand my have a different view, but that's another story. If you have any questions, or need to clarify any thing I said feel free to write back, and I will do my best to help

Good luck, Doug '86 GL Westy Maryland