Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:54:45 -0800
From:         Scott Semyan <scottse@MICROSOFT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dashboard lights/85 Vanagon
Comments: To: "lgirard@BMTS.COM" <lgirard@BMTS.COM>

All dash lights have gone out. Rotary dimmer dial still dims radio lights They are fused, to my knowledge, with back-up lights which work. Bulbs' filaments are intact. Anyone else had this occur?

Same thing happened to me. What I found was the connector between the speedo/tach assembly and the ribbon cable had become corroded. What you need to do is pop off the top of the instrument panel, unscrew the cluster assembly ( you are going to have to pop out the hazard light switch, light/dimmer switch, etc. to be able to fully remove the instrument cluster). Now unplug the ribbon cable from the cluster. If your connector is like mine (85 Westie) it will be black with corrosion. I used Emory paper to sand it clean but you can also use some kind of electrical contact cleaner. All clean now? Test it before you put it all back together ;-)

Hope this helps.

Scott Semyan '85 Westie Seattle, WA