Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:12:21 -0800
From:         Larry Carter <lcarter@COWICHAN.COM>
Subject:      87 thermostat replacement
Comments: cc: Christine Carter <ccarter@eciad.bc.ca>

Hello; Here's what happened yesterday, I finally convinced my wife to go flying (model planes) at the local lake with me, when we arrive there there is steam rising from the left rear wheel well which smells like coolant. I crawl under to see the source, it's coolant dripping onto the exhaust pipe under the thermostat housing. I open the hatch, remove the planes and stuff, and open the engine cover, and can see the hose on the right of the thermo. hous. is weeping where someone, PO, installed a worm style hose clamp on the hose. I wiggle the hose, and it breaks off clean in my hand, sploosh, coolant gushes out under pressure. I jam the hose back into position which quells the flow to a drip. A fellow flyer offers his car as a parts runner. We drive over to the local VW guru, no he doesn't have one, phone the local VW wrecker, no he doesn't have one, call the distant VW dealer, he has one $107, can courier it to me by 5:30. Freind drives me home (42miles) so I can gather tools and buckets, a tarp, overalls, and the wife's BMW. Go back to the lake and drain the coolant, and begin to remove the thermo. hous., the top bolt is an allen socket with the flats stripped out, I have to use my pipe pliers to loosen that off, about 1/128 of a turn at a time. By this time it's dark, about 5 o'clock, run over to the Gurus place for the parts, run back and crawl under, install the 2 temp senders with O-rings, gave the clips to wife, wife drops one of the clips after banging her head on the hatch(for the second time), we move the BMW around so we can use the headlights to find the clip in the gravel. Look for that for about an hour. Install the thermo housing with the new allen bolt I picked up at Gurus, hook up all the hoses. Look for the stupid clip for another half hour, finally find it, install it fill the expansion tank, fire it up and check for leaks. The lights go out on the Beemer, hmmm that's weird, the wipers go on on the Beemer, hmmm. Pour as much coolant into the van as it would take while revving it, cap it, replace the hose onto the cap, and close up the back end of the van. By then the municipality wanted to ckose the gate to the park where all this happened. So we head out, with me watching the temp. guage, and her with no headlights. after 2 stops we get her lights working by jerking the turn signal stalk we finally make it home at about 9 o'clock. I don't think I'll be able to persuade her to go flying with me next monday. Larry Carter