Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Oct 1997 20:44:43 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <yteh9301@pophost.bcit.bc.ca>
From:         Harry Yates <hyates@BCIT.BC.CA>
Subject:      Syncro springs and shocks (long)

Hi Everyone. Well, during the summer I mentioned to the list that the rear springs of our '90 Syncro Westy have apparently sagged. The rear wheels are 3/4 of a degree out of camber (tops of wheels leaning in), and the alignment adjuster is at its max. Many of you suggested not to worry about it, as it's so slight, etc. Well, I've also noticed the van is sitting noticably lower to the ground as well. The front shocks seem a bit "soft" as well.

So, I've done some research on this topic and I'd like to share this with the list.

First of all, NOBODY makes replacement springs for this van other than VW. I've been in contact with 3 spring shops, and they can't get a replacement. I've also dealt with a major flaps (Lordco), and they can't help either. Same for the front shocks. Again, VW is the sole supplier of these parts.

Once coil springs sag, they are rendered useless. If they have a model, they can custom build springs for about $150 CDN each. BUT, there are no guarantees, etc. They will measuring wire diameter to figure out the spring rate, and they will only have a collapsed length, and will have to guess as to it's full height, etc. Since the only model I know of is on my van, this isn't good. The turn around is about 4 to 6 weeks to get these made locally.

So, here's the poop... Now, sit down, take a deep breath.... these are NOT typo's

front spring 251 411 105F 952 $456 CDN EACH rear spring 251 511 105E 952 $506 CDN EACH

front shocks 251 413 031C $354 CDN EACH rear shocks 251 513 031D $242 CDN EACH

TOTAL : $3116.00 CDN

Now, this is serious money. Also, my dealer has checked his computer tracking system, and in the past 18 months since they've had this computer system have NEVER sold springs or shocks for a Syncro. Of course it's my luck that it's my van that has this problem. Gee, I don't even go off road!

I'd like to know why the springs have sagged. Any ideas? The spring shops couldn't tell me the exact reason. My van sits 5 months of the year (unladen), and I wonder if this static load could have caused this.

Of course, there are other ways to get VW parts (ie. Kyle, etc), but it's pretty scarey with these prices.

Am I the only one, or have other Syncro owners had spring/shock problems? Are there any gas shock replacments for this van?

Thanks for any input. Harry. --------------------------------------------------------- Harry Yates, Langley, BC, Canada '90 Syncro Westfalia www: http://syncro.cr.bcit.bc.ca/hyates '87 Golf Diesel email: hyates@bcit.bc.ca '91 Miata (Millie)