Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:31:36 -0500
From:         Jim Davis <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Any Syncros with "Carat/Wolfburg/Multivan" interiors?
Comments: To: gordo@hawaii.edu

In a message dated 97-10-29 03:57:53 EST, gordo@HAWAII.EDU (Gordon C Smith) writes:

> I'm shopping for my dream van. This would be a '90-'91 Multivan Syncro. > Were any of these made for the US?

No.

> Next choice: Carat Syncro, or Wolfsburg Syncro. Do these exist? > (Obviously I like those "Carat/Wolfburg/Multivan" interiors!)

No.

> I've corresponded with someone who says he has a Syncro Wolfsburg > Limited Edition for sale. He sent me photos via e-mail. > One thing was a surprise to me: the interior appears to have _forward_ > facing middle seats! I had thought that the "Wolfburg Editions" all had > the "Carat/Wolfburg/Multivan" interior with two REAR facing seats, > fold-out table, comfy fold-out bed and flourescent light.

All 87 & newer Wolfsburgs did have the interior you describe.

>I'm either wrong > because it's a syncro or because in '90 they had the Carat with that > interior and didn't duplicate it with the Wolfsburg Editions. Or I'm wrong > because they don't even exist and this van has been modified from stock.

Likely the "modification" has been the addition of Wolfsburg emblems to the sides of the van. In 1990 & 1991 all Vanagon Syncros (Camper models excepted) were quite basic models (not GL), having almost nothing as standard equipment. The even omitted the armrests on the front seats! They did however have the rear-facing removeable seats. I have an 87 GL Syncro that I have retrofitted with rear-facing seats. So this configuration can be had, but not from the factory for USA imports.

Good luck, Jim Davis