Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:43:54 -0800
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Re: Charging Second Battery
Comments: To: "harald.nancy" <harald.nancy@MCI2000.COM>

At 08:28 PM 10/28/97 -0800, harald.nancy wrote: >--------- >Mark wrote Oct 28 in response to Steve's battery charging question: >> > The aux battery relay closes whenever the alternator is producing >voltage >> (i.e. when the engine is running). When the relay closes, the aux battery >> and the main battery are both connected to the regulated output of the >> alternator. > >I agree with what Mark said. But I just want to put in my two cents. >I think the best way to keep 2 batteries separated, but charged, is to >install an automatic battery isolator. It makes a much cleaner >installation. >If installed properly, it will prevent the main battery from discharging >when you use the camping equipment. The device is totally maintenance- >free and reliable. >I've been using isolators in my vanagons for more than 12 years. >If anyone is interested in a multi-battery isolator for a vanagon >(alias Bosch alternator), call Sure Power Industries, Inc. > Tualatin, Oregon 97062 > phone (503) 692-5360 > fax (503) 692-9091 >If you have the big 90 amp alternator on the later vanagons, >only use model number 1202R, maximum 120 amp. >On the air-cooled vanagon smaller alternators, you can use >model number 952R, maximum 95 amp. >My 1990 vanagon burned out the 952R, so I had to replace it >with the stronger 1202R. >The main difficulty with this installation is that it requires a >a separate cable from the engine compartment to the >auxillary battery, and a minor alteration to the regulator. >Anyone else using this isolator? In what way is an isolator a "cleaner" installation? Many Westys come with the relay and wiring already installed and you don't have to run any wires from the engine compartment or alter the regulator. I don't see how an isolator offers any improvement over the standard relay setup in a Westfalia. Maybe in an RV with a bank of batteries and a large inverter to provide scads of 120 VAC for microwave, hot-water heater etc., but not if you just have a few lights, a stereo, and a propane heater that draws just 1.5 A. I also don't understand why you need an inverter that handles 90 or 120 amps. You will never draw or supply anywhere near that much amperage from your aux battery (unless you have it wired so that it can be a starting battery). Can you enlighten me a bit on this?

-Mark