Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:58:10 -0800
From:         "harald.nancy" <harald.nancy@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Charging Second Battery

---------- Mark wrote Oct. 29: > In what way is an isolator a "cleaner" installation? Many Westys come with > the relay and wiring already installed and you don't have to run any wires > from the engine compartment or alter the regulator. I don't see how an > isolator offers any improvement over the standard relay setup in a > Westfalia. Maybe in an RV with a bank of batteries and a large inverter to > provide scads of 120 VAC for microwave, hot-water heater etc., but not if > you just have a few lights, a stereo, and a propane heater that draws just > 1.5 A. I also don't understand why you need an inverter that handles 90 or > 120 amps. You will never draw or supply anywhere near that much amperage > from your aux battery (unless you have it wired so that it can be a starting > battery). Can you enlighten me a bit on this? > > -Mark

Isolator? I have five lights in my westy. I like to stay up late. There is also the water pump for the sink, and the stereo, and the propane heater, which uses fans, etc., and the cooling fan for the fridge. In addition, my vanagon is an automatic, which can't be jump-started. It gives me piece of mind to always have a fully-charged main battery, especially in cold weather. I never have to look at the battery indicator light on the sink anymore.

To clarify, an isolator is not an inverter. The isolator is not expensive. They cost from $25 to $60. You don't need to operate any cut-off switches between the batteries. Once it is installed, you can use all camping appliances until the auxillary battery is totally empty. I use a small 55 amp deep cycle battery designed for wheel-chairs for my auxillary battery. The system works great, especially for an extended camping trip. The main battery remains separated and is not used for camping appliances at all. Only the auxillary battery is used for camping appliances. When driving, both batteries are being charged. In case the main battery is weak, one can use a short jump-start cable from one battery to the other. Also, either battery can be charged independently with a trickle charger through two separate cigarette lighter outlets.

The 120 amp separator is a little stronger to use with the 90 amp alternator, since all the current put out by the alternator has to flow through the separator. Don't use the models designed for Motorola or other brands. It must be the model designed for Bosch.

Harald '90 westy