Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Oct 1997 14:37:58 -0500
From:         Bill Knight <bill@NS.ESC.STATE.NC.US>
Subject:      Engine Swaps

The engine swap idea has been discussed on this list many times, and several people have actually done it. It's always been an idea in the back of my head to do the same. Originally I wanted to use a Porsche 911 engine in an aircooled Vanagon, but after owning and rebuilding a 1972 911-T, I discovered how quickly a 911 engine can lighten one's wallet. The Subaru engine sounds intriguing, but do they have the necessary torque to push that big box against the wind. I have also been interested in the possibility of using a light-pressure turbo with the 1.9 liter waterboxer. I have experience with turbos on Saabs and find them quite wonderful and reliable when the pressure is kept to a reasonable limit.

The big question in my mind is that, regardless of which route one goes to make the Vanagon quicker, gas mileage is going to suffer in one way or another. I figure that the stock engine displacement vs. gearing was designed to get the best mileage, and in my case with a 1.9 liter, is about 20 mpg. In my mind, 20 mpg is about as low as I'd want to go. How much fuel is that Subaru engine going to suck when it has to push that Vanagon at cruising speed while revving at 4,000 rpm?

I'm looking for real answers here. I would like to hear from those individuals who have actually done a swap.

So here is my request:

To any listmembers who have either done an engine swap, or has direct experience with a swap situation, please let us wannabees know what gas mileage you get in real life driving, around town and on the road.

Thanks, Bill