Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Oct 1997 23:13:08 -0800
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      2x4 Syncro/Diff
Comments: To: tbill@STARTEXT.NET

Hi,

Yup, you can get a locking diff for the vanagon. Good investment. It is made by Lock-Right, reputable company. you want model 1310 or 1311 for 2 or 4 spider gears. Your van has 2 gears, real Syncros get 4, so I think you should upgrade that too, likley quite cheap, they are small parts (haha). Suggested retail is $US311/345 jobbers price $264/293. Installation will run another $300 I think. Call Weddle Engineering, Long Beach Ca. 310-598-2731 (this may be a FAX #, not sure.) I'd drop the trans myself and ship it to Weddle for the install. He's THE expert on this for VWs.

Someone (Bob Bellanca?) just installed one and put his comments up in a few messages. Apparently it was a PITA until it was 'readjusted' by the place that had rebuilt his trans at the same time as the install (not Weddle). Find his posts.

This is an overunning type locker, allows outside wheel to turn faster. Essentially is locked up when driving straight, must unlock to allow corners, and may do so with a 'bang'. Works forward/reverse natch. Clicks and clacks when overunning, may 'bang' if heavily locked up. Can give some nasty handling problems on off camber slippery roads since you can't disengage it. Entire rear axle spins (both wheels together) and the ass end slips out, over the cliff ;) Must also learn to feather the gas pedal to get around tight turns off-road. My locking rear diff on the Syncro adds a lot of traction over even 4WD. That's why I put an OEM locker in the front :):) bye, Tim