Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Oct 1997 01:05:51 -0500
From:         "William A. Killian" <killian@MNSINC.COM>
Subject:      Long sad story about the probable death of a Eurovan...

This is a sad story to write.

As some may remember I have a '93 EV MV. I consider it the best vehicle I've ever owned. I may have saved my life in a way.

Driving down a two lane road here in rural Virginia (outside of Winchester) when both my wife and I see a pair of headlights that we think is a truck or something. No other lights. BUT it was the head lights of a tractor/trailer with no running lights elsewhere on the rig or trailer. The truck was making a left turn onto the road heading towards me. With no lights on the trailer at 8:30 PM it was invisible to us until we reached the cab of the truck. This left me thirty feet to stop from 50 MPH. EV brakes aren't THAT good. I veered right but with a five to ten foot ditch along the side that wasn;t a good option either. Couldn;t decide so I ended up hitting both. Well decision is not really right. I had time to say "S**t. Trailer." then BAM...

Say what you like about not wanting VW to move the engines forward with the T4 but it gave me protection somewhat. With the savage destruction of the hood, quarter panels and even the engine itself I'm extremely grateful that the engine took it not me. I've always been amazed at how small the EV engine really is. It was big enough. I will NEVER own a mini van either. A truck is normally built tougher than a car. The EV hot a hard blow to the trailer, slid into the ditch, took out a 9 to 12 inch diamter post, (we believe) flipped/rolled ont the front edge of the roof (based on our impressions in the cab with two times the roof came "up" toward us and the marks on the roof. It might have been standing on its nose instead of being upside down, its disorienting to go through.

My wife and I have bruises on our shoulders and ribs from the seatbelts. I have a jammed finger. My wife wasn't wearing socks so she has a few small glass cuts on her ankles. Thats all. I still love my EV. The passenger box retained its integrity for the most part. The front tire in front of the driver is now turned 90 degrees and is perpendicular to the body and that wheel well came closer to the drivers seat. The dash is well... gone. But I have a slight abrasino on my knee. No broken legs. No entrapment. Just an abrasion through my jeans. All of the interior from the seats back is fine.

The verdict hasn't come back from the insurance folks but well with all doors(except the rear hatch), all quarter panels, the roof everything in front of the cab bent up, he base of the sliding door is about 9 inches in from where its supposed to be, and everything else I'm expecting a DOA.

I'm planning on buying back the remains for a potential transplant into an EV GL/CL if I find a decent van later. I might be able to use the carcass to store hay or something.

But ironically Mark Flynn's post about his Syncro came at a good time. Its back 7 years in age but its more likely to fit the budget after the insurance folks speak...

I strongly believe I and my wife are alive becase this happened in an EV. Well without seatbelts I'd suspect we'd be dead as well.

Okay maybe we do have a guardian angel or we've built up enough good karma. But what ever. The news about the van is horrible but we lived. I've been in accidents before but this is by far the most violent. The only time I kind of expected to die. Glad I didn't.

bill and diane killian zen and the art of ferrets mailto:killian@zenferret.com mailto:killian@mnsinc.com http://www.zenferret.com/