Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Oct 1997 15:27:30 -0500
From:         Karl Vochatzer <Karl_G_Vochatzer@NOTES.AMRCORP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Binding when turning

Mark, I think you have an excellent point. Not that I wouldn't be sweating bullets with the thought of a viscuous coupling going bad if I had one.... But just to throw this in there for support on your hypothesis, my 88 Bronco II has what I would call the most binding I ever felt on sharp turns whether in 4X4 low or high. It has always done this, and is perfectly normal. In fact, when ever I drive in 4x4 high, I just change the transfer case from 4x4 to 2x4 before pulling into the drive or into parking spaces just because I don't like the feel of it doing the binding.

Karl 86 Westy 88 GL 88 Bronco II 4x4

raven@HALCYON.COM on 10/03/97 05:34:44 PM

Please respond to raven@HALCYON.COM

To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU cc: (bcc: Karl G Vochatzer/AMR) Subject: Re: Binding when turning

Are you guys sure you're not making a problem where none really exists? It's my understanding that this "binding" on tight turns is characteristic of all syncros (indeed many 4WDs as well). There is some binding on my syncro when making really tight turns, but I don't consider it a problem. Have you ever driven other 4WD vehicles and made a tight turn? I rented a Jeep Cherokee in Alaska this summer and the binding on this vehicle in turns was ten times worse than the Vanagon. I doubt that this binding has anything at all to do with the VC--it's probably related to the front diff or CV joints. And again, I think this a characteristic of the vehicle--I don't think you should expect to be able to turn the steering wheel all the way until it locks and not experience some binding.

-Mark McCulley 87 syncro Westfalia

At 02:42 PM 10/3/97 -0400, Derek Drew wrote: >I have this thing too. We are doomed! > >Big $$ to replace the Viscous Coupling. But you can drive around for a long >time like that. Just make the air pressure in all your tires exactly the >same and avoid tight turns! > > >At 11:21 PM 10/2/97 -0700, you wrote: >>my '89 westy syncro binds up really tight when its hot and i make a >>sharp turn...like to turn around in a parking lot...the binding seems to >>be more than what one would expect from the vc on a tight turn....its >>almost like the brakes are on...the vehicle will not roll freely...and >>it does not bind to this extent when not hot.... >> >>am i doomed? will changing the fluid help? hurt? i appreciate any >>response....to this most disturbing symptom...effect....whatever... >> >> >___________________________________ >Derek Drew New York, NY >drew@interport.net >