Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Nov 1997 03:18:27 -0800
From:         Gail Fitzpatrick <redwood@SPEEDLINK.COM>
Subject:      Inverter questions; was: Re: Power Inverters, which one to buy

According to the latest Camping World catalog, p. 43, in choosing an inverter, one should: "Calculate the highest total wattage needed at once (see chart below) and choose the closest wattage Inverter with a greater output from chart at left" [of their offerings]. In the small chart at the bottom of the page, they list typical power usage in watts of many small appliances or tools [but no fans, nor anything that really seems very comparable].

One thing i don't understand -- On their list of inverters, the 3 of largest capacity are marked with asterisks indicating "Modified sine wave and frequency controlled." Is this really 'fine print' meaning the true capacity of the units is less than indicated, or what?

I've already had installed a 63 amp/hr aux. battery. My particular quest is to contrive a way to power a small [600w] microwave, if possible. I've already made one important [if obvious] discovery: a microwave rated at 600w really draws up to *920w*, to power the light, turntable, etc, i suppose. On the other hand, it is possible with some ovens to cook at less than full power. i just bought one i'm hoping i can make work, that has 10 levels. So, if i understand it, it would be possible to draw as little as, say, 500w, by cooking at 30% [600w x .30 = 180w, plus the 320w to work the oven]. Does this make sense?

My situation is that i sometimes have to rely on supplementary oxygen, and at those times, open-flame cooking is, um...not a good idea. So i thot a microwave can cook so fast, that it wouldn't really take the battery down that much, used judiciously. But a 300/600w inverter wouldn't be up to it. Apparently the "peak" capacity is really irrelevant to this issue; i should have an inverter with a "continuous" rating of at least *920w*, to use the microwave alone. Problem is that the prices of these things seem to go up almost literally exponentially. i.e., in the CW catalog, from $79 for 125/175w, up a couple to $139 for 400/600, on up to $399 for 750/1500 and $599 for1200/2400.

Then, there's something called a "Heart Interface Inverter/Charger", $849 for a 1000w capacity. Is there *any* solution to this, that won't cost a fortune?

Would really appreciate any advice...

TIA,

Gail

PS: wrt prices, to respond to the earlier post --

Camping World's price for a 300w continuous/600 peak inverter is $84.99 list with discounts available down to $71.97. When i called Damark, i was quoted $69.99 for that size unit, and I have found them locally for the same price. So $49.99 sounds very good, based on my research. I've requested a Damark catalog.

If you're interested in a Camping World catalog, you can call 800.626.5944. Their prices aren't wonderful, but camping offerings are comprehensive and the catalogs can be informative, e.g. the power usage chart.

gail

At 09:01 AM 11/3/97 -0500, E.C. Cannon wrote: > These sound like good deals based on retail prices. > You should over-size it to be safe. > >______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ >Subject: Power Inverters, which one to buy >Author: Thing Guy <ThingGuy@aol.com> at BALT.SMTP >Date: 10/31/97 10:25 PM > > >I just received a Damark catalog in the mail and found 2 power inverters for >sale. > >Power to go 300 watt continuous 600 watt peak $49.99 free s+h or > >Whistler 500 watt continuous 800 watt peak $99.99 free s+h > >I'm thinking about buying the 300 watt to power one or two small fans to keep >cool when I'm camping. I think 300 watts should be enough, unless someone can >offer a reason I should get the 500 watt unit. > >Does anyone know of a better deal to be had out there than the $49.99? > >TIA > >Steve >New Side Tents at http://members.aol.com/tentinfo > __________________________ Gail Fitzpatrick '87 GL Westi, 121k [Twiga] Sacramento, CA <redwood@speedlink.com>