Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Nov 1997 05:40:12 -0800
From:         "CARVER, JEFFREY D" <Jeffrey.Carver@AEROJET.COM>
Subject:      '80 No Compression #3 Update
Comments: To: Type2 <type2@bigkitty.azaccess.com>

Well I finally got to the heart of the matter.

Bottom line for those who don't want all the gory details of how I got there.

Intake valve #3, valve seat is mashed INTO the head.

I guess it makes up for the valve seat that worked itself OUT last time. Nice even mashing, everything looks good, except that the valve seat is deeper into the head. Looking through the intake port I can see metal deformed from the movement of the seat that is not evident in #4.

Is this a rebuildable head? Remove seat, weld, machine, install seat, or is it junk. I haven't heard a follow-up to the one negative comment on AVP yet, so am aiming there (it's local for me).

With 70K mileage, I assume that I should do the right head also.

I have the heads from the 'other' '80 Westi that I can use for cores. Shoulda, woulda, coulda had them rebuilt already as spares and be on the road by now. Will this time.

Unknown mileage on the 'other' bus's heads.

Comments regarding the removal of heads in a Vanagon WITHOUT dropping engine: (no bench on which to place engine, nor garage to place engine either) [well, I have garage, but jammed to the rafters]

Contrary to immediate evidence and staring at the engine, the right side is easier than the left. I had to remove the fan housing to get to the bit of tin in front of the oil cooler to allow removal of the head. One end of that tin is between the engine case and cylinder and the other is on the outer side of the head.

I am very familiar with the right side removal, this is the first time for the left side. I didn't check the available 'net resources prior to doing it, so don't know if it's out there. Would those in the know, please check. If articles are NOT out there, I'll gladly write something up.

- Jeff Iwanna21/23windowsunroofDeluxe! '80 Westi(2) '67 Sqbk '64 Ford Crewcab '87 Subaru 4WD (4 Sale NOT) '97 Nissan Quest Grass Valley, California, USA Jeffrey.Carver@Aerojet.com