Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Nov 1997 12:58:19 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Fw: VDO OP Guage install?(long)

---------- > From: Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net> > To: VANAGON@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: VDO OP Guage install?(long) > Date: Saturday, November 01, 1997 11:28 PM > > Since switching from a 79 breadbox w/238K to a 90 GL w/106K, I was hoping > to transfer my aftermarket VDO guages to the newer engine. To my surprise, > the 2.1 has not one but 2 oil pres. switches and the one uner the 3/4 > cylinder seem to be the only viable location to add the big bulky VDO > single pole sender. Needing to keep both switches in the system so the > computer chip behind the dash doesn't go haywire, initially I rigged up a > rinky dink system w/ 1/8" brass pipe and a T connection but space is tight > and the pr tube cover wouldn't fit. So, I left it off and within two weeks > something struck it and cracked(and thankgfully didn't snap it off) the > assembly. Originally, I had hooked up the op to check real oil pressure to > determine whether I needed to overhaul the entire motor or just the leaky > heads. Now after the head fix(successful thanks to Boston Bob and my local > VW Guru in N. Little Rocxk, Bob Meyers), I wanterd to fit the bulky op > sender up under there and after much much try and fit and cuss and remove, > using a 2" brass 1/8"npt nipple into the block followed by a T w/ 1 male > and 1 female end on it (not sure of the real name for tis piece) and a > female end going off 90 degrees for the VW oem switch and spinning the > threads so it barely tucks under the #4 intake pr tube. From there, the > addition of 2 -45 degree elbows, one a male/female and the other a > female/female installed one at a time, with the proper angle on each of > them you can tuck the VDO unit right up under the space between #3 and #4 > intake pr tubes and still have room for the knurled plastic nut to come off > for the wire hook up AND still fit the pr tube protector back on w/ not > forcing. Stufffing the wire loom was no problem compared to this bit of > shade tree engineering. Will probably add the old VDO vaccum guage and the > oil temp guage just because I have them and the VDO bezel housing is only > 15 bucks. Is there any other location to mount the oil temp sender besides > the 14xz1.5 mm thread in the oil drain plug? Is there a more accurate > place to take a reading from? I'm also wondering if the intercooler unit > that trys to balance oil temp and water temp could be pulled out or > modified so an external oil cooler could be installed. I had an awesome > setup on my breadbox that NEVER let the oil temp get over 200 degrees and > had a t-stat rthatdidn't open until 165 F. Enough rambling, but I'd like > some feedback from the wrench heads out there if I've mortally wounded the > Wasserboxer. Morre on the self teaching course on Vanagon 101 as offered > by the University of hard knocks. > > Bullwinkle(AR)