Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Nov 1997 13:35:53 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bumpers and other oddities
Comments: To: adam grove <malchik_2@HOTMAIL.COM>

Adam: The black thing on the dist. cap may be a waterproofing thing. If it fits like a condom over the cap and wires, that's probably it. They'rre sold for dune buggies and sand rails fro that reason. As for the coolant access, I make sure the prestone jug is only about 1/3 full and turn it sideways and pour. It's not like your feeding mega liters into this thing anyway. Don't buy a funnel for this! Instead, buy a $5 bottle of Chevron Techroline fuel injector cleaner, pour it in your tank next fill up, and then cut the bottom of it off and you now have a funnel that will get gas, oil, collant, and washer fluid neatly where it's supposed to go. Can't help you on the under seat access. I bought a 20" blue Rubbermaid and Grey 24" Rubbermaid plastic tool box to store stuff in there. Blue fits the pass side and grey the drivers andd barely fits in, but I pulled the lid off so it could be storage for the coleman fuel, antifreeze oil, etc. and it will contain spills. Had a coleman can leak on the carpet for a week before I recognized the smell. You think cleaning up an antifreeze leak off the rear heater core is tough, try this one! The blue box I store the timing light, spare parts, nuts, bolts, light bulbs, hoses etc. The mail tool box sits inbetween the front seasts with a homemade lid on top that nestles the drinks/CD player/ etc. Good luck pouring this winter!!

Bullwinkle

---------- > From: adam grove <malchik_2@HOTMAIL.COM> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: Bumpers and other oddities > Date: Monday, November 03, 1997 1:10 PM > > Hi all, > > Since I purchased my 91 syncro westy I have noticed a few odd things - > or at least odd to me. > > Why does my van have a nice metal bumper up front and a fiberglass one > in the back? Why are there no provisions to attach a liscence plate to > the front bumper. Can I glue mine one (AK requires two plates). > > Back to the rear --- I have this neat looking 2000lb hitch on the back > installed in Germany at the Graz factory upon request of the PO. For > the electrics, there is a round plug with maybe six-eight connectors. > Is it possible to find a male counterpart to this plug so I could tow my > little 5OOlb coleman utility trailer if needed and still have lights on > it? > > Why is the distributor covered in a black plastic bag which sort of > covers it and encases the wires? > > How in the world are you supposed to fill the oil and coolant without a > funnel. Thanks to the list I am wise to the extending oil fill tube. > Regardless, it is impossible to fill either without a funnel - does this > make sense? > > Why isn't there a door in the front panel of the rear seat so you can > access the inside without having to lift the seat each time. A real > pain with a child's safety seat strapped to it. > > Oh there are other things, but these were the most pressing. I don't > mean to complain - I'll buy a funnel and could cut a door in the seat > panel like is in my 73 westy. I can remove the plastic covering the > distributor and probably order the hitch plug from VW too, but the > bumper thing is really wierd. > > Don't get me wrong - I love the van absolutely! It is great in snow and > I even got to test the 4wd this weekend - it works as I saw with my own > eyes the front left wheel spinning on the ice when I opened my door and > looked down as I was rapidly (attempting) to accelerate on a parking lot > of ice. > > Off to drive around some more! > > Adam > Anchorage AK > 91 Syncro Westy > 73 Westy > > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com