Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Nov 1997 23:20:59 -0800
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Hot Water Heater

After searching the archives for options for producing hot water on demand without having to install a gas heater, I have opted to try Dave Garth's ingenious design. Back in 1994, Dave routed hot coolant through a copper coil inserted in the water tank. He controlled the temp by controlling the flow of coolant through the water tank with a water bed thermostat hooked up to a selonoid valve. He routed the coolant from the rear heater by taping into the hoses with a Tee. Dave's design safely produced 13 gallons of 100 degree water in twenty minutes of driving. Dave also installed a shower in the back of his van (ok...a hand held shower...but with hot water and pressure!...).

Has anyone else tried this? If so, I am wondering how the setup has worked over time.... and what type of plumbing connections i can safely use with hot coolant (do the joints and connections in the copper tubing have to be soldered....or could I use the same types of connectors I used when taping into the propane lines...the flared connections using flare nuts and a flaring tool and flared fittings...which would be easier?)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

steve '90 syncro westy san francisco