Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Oct 1997 09:58:55 -0500
From:         Jon Christensen <vvwca@PRIMENET.COM>
Subject:      Qualitative Thoughts on H2o Vanagons

Hi All,

This is not technical in nature, but I thought I'd share some thoughts on H2o Vanagons I have had lately. Several years I categorized H2o Vanagons as an expensive sideline to my interest in VWs. After joining the Vanagon list and learning more about them, I eventually ended up buying one and then a few more and so-on and so-forth. Now I have four, 2 86 Syncros, an 84 automatic and an 82 Diesel. In June I bought an 89 Fox and stripped it out to obtain a 1.8 motor for a diesel-Vanagon type of swap. In August I bought a neglected 86 GTI for yet another Diesel Vanagon-type swap. It turned out that the GTI made a good driver after some minor repairs so, except for a trip to Buses by the Arch, I have been zipping around in the GTI rather than driving Vanagon on a daily basis. Last night I went out and sat in my blue 86 Syncro GL which has only been storing extra GTI parts since I returned from BBTA a month ago. I started it up, turned the lights on and sat in it for a while. What a Sensation! After driving the gokart-like GTI for that last 6 weeks or so it really felt good to sit up high and hear the purring wasser motor faithfully start and humm quietly in back. I guess I'll clean it out and start driving ole blue again. 8-)

Jon Christensen /V\ Membership Coordinator for the ~Certified VW Nut \W/ Vintage VW Club of America Vvwca@primenet.com http://www.concentric.net/~vvwca