Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Nov 1997 17:20:17 -0500
From:         tellis <tellis@WISCASSET.NET>
Subject:      Can't Import EV Westy from CN

Bad News for EV Westy Lovers: Some time ago I posted some questions about importing a 1994 EV Westfalia campervan. I had located one that I wanted to buy in Alberta. The owner contacted VW to ask for a certificate verifying that the vehicle could be imported to the USA. Finally the disappointing letter came saying that it could not be imported. Here is what the letter said:

Based upon records in the possession of Volkswagen of America, Inc., we confirm that the vehicle identified above ('94 VW Westfalia Eurovan Camper with its VIN) was originally produced by Volkswagen AG for sale only in the Canadian market. The vehicle was certified to conform to all applicable Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS).

While the engine with which this vehicle was originally manufactured was at one time certified for sale in the US market for model year 1993, Volkswagen did not introduce a "like" product for sale in the US market, the 1994 Canadian EuroVan cannot be imported into the US in spite of the fact that it's engine met US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) emissions regulations at the time of its manufacture.

Buy definition, a Eurovan camper is a motor home. The camping equipment with which this EuroVan was manufactured meets only the safety standards for Canadian motor homes and cannot be imported into the state of Washington which is defined as a "restricted" state which has its own safety standards for camping equipment installed in motor homes.

Because of the above, this vehicle cannot be imported or registered in the US market.

Volkswagen of American, Inc. Product Compliance"

So the is the letter. Frankly, I think that the problem has less to do with safety and standards than it does with politics and money. I suspect that VW and Winnebago made an agreement that if Winnebago did conversions, VW (and probably Westfalia) would not import the Westfalia campers. Anyway, that is the end of the story of my desire to import the '94 Westy. If any Canadian is interested, email me directly and I can check to see if the owner still has and may still be interested in selling it.

So -- I have sold my '82 Westy diesel and have purchased a '95 EVC. Although I am less enthusiastic about the Winnebago conversion, we are getting to know each other and getting along fairly well.

Tim '95 EVC