Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 1997 00:27:42 -0800
From:         STEVEN G WACKER <s_j_wacker@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Electrical Unsolved Mysteries
Comments: To: SYNCRO3@juno.com

Ok, we had a great weekend with two couples from the List...camp-out and some four-wheeling on Sunday, now it's time to head to the Casa. The sun is going down, flip on the head lights...nothing! This has happened before, just rock the switch a little and they will come on...still nothing! Pull over and pop off the top of the instrument panel, pull the switch and fiddle with it (I have to make the wife think I know what I'm doing). Still nothing. Pull the dim/bright/flasher lever on the steering column to the on position and all headlights come on. OK, it's not a fuse...but, I've got to drive home over the crookedist road in America, it's gonna be tuff to hold the lever back and negotiate this road (highway 78 from Banner to Julian, Ca.). Wife suggest we turn on the fog lights. Adjust fog light real low so as not to blind anyone and off we go. Monday morning I'm up early and take the switch out of the Carat and put it in the Syncro...still no headlights! Jo Ann takes the Syncro to work, It's day time, so don't need lights. I tow the Carat to the shop for a new tranny, pick up a rental and take it to Jo Ann so she won't have to struggle coming home tonite, I take the Syncro. It's raining, turn on the wipers...nothing!! Pull the dim/bright/flasher lever to the on position....nothing. Turn the headlight switch to full on, pull the d/b/f lever to on position and the wipers work!!! I go to work, off at 11:00 pm, it's cold and damp, the windshield fogs up, turn on the heater fans to defrost the windshield...nothing! Pull the d/b/f lever to the on position...heater fan come on. Sorry, I cannot make heads or tails from the Bentley how this thing is wired, but I believe there is a relay or something that brings all these things together, it's bad, how do I find it and replace it? Anybody got an answer? Suggestion?

Steve and Jo Ann Wacker San Marcos, Ca. 90 Carat 86 Syncro