Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 1997 05:58:46 -0400
From:         mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Electrical Unsolved Mysteries
Comments: To: STEVEN G WACKER <s_j_wacker@JUNO.COM>

Steve,

Yep the wiring diagram is convoluted. I useded the Vin Code for a 90 ,and I looked at pg 97.3 and 97.4 which gave me some clues as to what those "churmans" were thinking we they designed it. BTW anywone else who reads this post and really knows what they were thinking, a nice explantion would be appreciated especially with referance to the horizontal lines on the top and bottom of each diagram page which are without an explantion, this lines have alpha or numerical codes, but I don't seem them explained. Ok now On with the show.

Well, I feel that the probable problem is either, the load reduction relay or its turn on power source, since Vanagons have the head light power wired through the ignition switch. So when the headlights are left on, and you turn off the ignition, ONLY the parking lights remain on. So this function could be your failure, since all of the "failed componets you mentioned get their power from the ignition "on" postion, which is what feeds the relay. There was a post about using your "emergency" technique to power the electric windows with the ignition off.

This is only an educated guess, there may be a broken wire, loose connection, PO spliced it for who knows what type of malfunction. Tracing the power flow with a Voltmeter is the only way to ascertain for sure.

Best guess first is to swap out the load reduction relay, actually thumping it with your finger whilst power is applied might free it up, but it's not probable, Yeah now to find it.

According to the manual its right on the face of the fuse panel and sits in position number 8. see pg 97.201. They say it may have the number 18 stamped on its housing. It's referred to as J59 on page 97.211 which shows the power flow to it on the headlight diagram.

The other thought, but not my instictive one, a failed "combination switch" it's the thing that lives beneath your steering wheel,. This "stalk" switch controls a bunch of things, and it also must carry power through the highbeam lowbeam function.

Since you have two vanagons, you may try swapping out the above components, since they're fairly accessable, but I've personally never removed either one.

Hope its the load reduction relay.

Mark 91 Carat WE "Lazarus"