Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:38:38 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: WINTER DRIVING
Comments: To: alangondry@JUNO.COM
              Gondry" at Nov 10, 97 9:44 am

> > Hi all, > > I have not had the privileged to drive any VW van in the snow. I have an > '83 water cooled. Are there any problems or suggestions? > > alan > Alan, The Vanagons don't seem to do as well in the snow as the late Buses do, as less of the total weight is over the rear wheels; it's more evenly distributed.

An important part of safe driving in snow is the tires. Make sure you have good ones.

When you get the first snow, take your van to a big parking lot and drive around crazily, slamming on the brakes to make it skid, flooring it around a corner to make the back end swing out, and practice recovering from these events. Also learn the van's limitations in the snow from these exercises. You don't want to push it so that this happens on the road. Notice that if you lock the front wheels when braking, you WILL NOT be able to steer at all. The van will continue going in the direction it was going before the wheels locked, no matter how much you turn the steering wheel. This is true on snow, rain, ice, or dry pavement, but it's much easier to lock up the front wheels on snow and ice. So be conscious of that. Always apply the brakes with a slow steady motion, not abruptly. Leave plenty of distance between your car and the car in front and travel slow enough so that you can apply the brakes slowly and steadily.

Likewise with the steering, don't make any sudden moves. This can lead to a loss of traction, and then you're sliding.

Recovering from skids: well, if you lock the front wheels up and try to turn, you won't turn. As soon as you let up on the brakes the front wheels will unlock and then if you've got the steering wheel cranked all the way over, the van will make a violent turn in that direction, possibly leading to a loss of control. So again, slow and easy and don't panic if you lock your front wheels, simply reduce the pressure you are putting on the brake pedal while turning GENTLY.

Likewise, if you find your back end trying to swap places with the front end of the van (likely to happen most around corners), DON'T slam on the brakes. That makes it worse. Let up on the gas slowly and turn in the direction that the back end is sliding. If the back end slides left, turn the wheel left.

And of course you sometimes may lose traction when you try to start off from a stop, leaving your back wheels spinning while you don't go anywhere. If you're on a hill when this happens, you're pretty much screwed and will have to drift backwards down the hill until it's flat again and start from there. If you're on the flat, it sometimes helps to try starting from second gear instead of first. That way, less torque gets to the wheels and you're more likely to start moving instead of starting the wheels spinning uselessly. Again, with this starting from a stop, you want slow and easy motions. Give it as little gas as possible to keep the car from stalling when you let the clutch out. That way, the rear wheels are less likely to spin.

And if you're driving up a hill, whatever you do, don't stop (if it can be avoided). You need to keep your momentum up. I've had to go up hills in, say, second gear, and I'll get halfway up and the rear wheels will start spinning every now and then, and the back of the van will go right or left a little. In this situation you want to let off the gas a little but not completely so you can keep your momentum and correct the back end with steering as you go. It requires a feel for how the van responds to correction, which you can practice in that parking lot I suggested above. But if you stop on the hill, you will surely get stuck.

It's a lot to remember, but just remember slow and easy, no sudden moves, and you'll probably be OK. Just make sure you practice in that parking lot at the first snow.

Sean

And the most important thing here is to GO SLOW. Especially if the roads are winding or there is a lot of traffic around.