Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:52:51 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: WINTER DRIVING

> Alan, > > Enjoy yourself as you watch all the low ground clearance cars get bogged > down while you drive by! > > The most important factor in winter driving is the DRIVER: second most > important is your tires. For all around slush and mush driving, you can't > beat Bridgestone Blizzacks, although any other snow and mud tire should do > fairly well also. > > Keep the gas tank full for more weight and better traction. If you are on > glare ice and can't move, use some sand from your container which is stored > in the van (used one gallon plastic milk or anti-freeze containers work > well). If you have neglected this item, floor mats can work wonders. Just > remember to walk back and retrieve them once you have freed the van. Carry > a small shovel and don't be afraid to use it.

Yes, I forgot to mention this. I carry a small container of sand (cat litter works too) that I can spread under the rear tires if I get stuck. I've not had to use it yet. I also carry a metal shovel which is designed to free a car. When you turn it over, it can be placed behind or in front of the wheel. It has little grippers on it so you can use it to drive over if you get stuck. I've not had to use it for that, but I have had to use it to dig the car out.