Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 1997 12:16:36 -0800
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Ground strap from out of nowhere

The PO of my '84 replaced the battery because "it wouldn't hold a charge" and the new one seemed to go dead after about 18 hours- obvious electrical leak somewhere.

After I replaced the hose from the right side cylinder head to the T-piece near the rear heater after it blew (a daunting task requiring you to snake your arms around a myriad of Digijet B.S.) I felt like I had knocked something loose, and I was right.

Apparently, the PO had someone install this battery cable-looking-thing to the transmission. Browsing through vanagon.com, I found a bulletin about installing an auxilliary transmission ground strap to alleviate a battery-draining problem much like mine. Trouble is, knocking mine loose had no effect, better or worse.

Has anybody successfully solved a grounding problem like mine with this method? Where does this jobby hook up to? Am I stuck driving a GEO through the winter?

Thanks for your attention.

Sam