Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:36:32 EST
From:         james_f_smith@GROTON.PFIZER.COM
Subject:      Re[2]: Electrical Unsolved Mysteries
Comments: To: STEVEN G WACKER <s_j_wacker@juno.com>

Hi Steve-

It sounds like your problem may be more complex, but when my headlights went out

on me a few months ago - I found a fried ground connection (Left side, multiple connections plugged into side wall under the dash).

My problem was misleading at first - because sometimes when I turned the lights on, they worked. Then I'd flash the Hi beams, and they'd cut out again. I tried

swapping relays and fuses etc. but none of those helped. It was frustrating, because I'd lower the fuse panel to check things etc, and the lights would work again. Put it back, they'd work for a while, then cut out (usually when I was going 60 mph down some dark country road!)

It turns out that the ground connections are really prone to burning up, and it's a common problem. (Thanks to Dennis Haynes for the tip!)

When I finally started tracing wires, I noticed a corroded ground connection with the wire melted to another one. I changed the connector on the melted wire

(mine was light brown) and the lights have worked great ever since.

Good luck,

Jamie _______________________________________________________________________________ Subject: Re: Electrical Unsolved Mysteries From: STEVEN G WACKER <s_j_wacker@juno.com> at cr_groton_smtp Date: 11/11/97 3:12 PM

OK, thanks for the suggestions. I drove over to the shop where the Carat is and started swapping relays...nothing worked. Pulled all the relays on the Carat and the lights still come on, so I'm thinking I still haven't found the right relay or maybe it's in the ignition switch, how difficult is it to swap those out?

So keep those suggestions coming.

Steve and Jo Ann Wacker San Marcos, Ca. 90 Carat 86 Syncro