Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:31:42 -0800
From:         "sxs@concentric.net" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leaking Heads?
Comments: To: Stephen Jones <sjones@TETONDATA.COM>

I had a similar scare recently...I smelled coolant and it appeared there may have been some leakage at the head gasket because the heads were slightly stained (still have not ruled this out). It turns out that the smell was from a leaking sensor. A pressure check of the cooling system revealed no had leak, but I am still concerned because of the stained head.

Your symptoms point more directly to leaking head gasket. Form my research, you options are:

Confirm that the leak is from the head; the either : 1) try barsleak or similar stuff for a temporary fix....you want to keep the stuff in the engine and not let it circulate theough the whole cooling system...so you have to shut engine off when thermostat opens, and repeat after it cools a bit;

2) have heads removed and hope that the heads are not pitted or corroded so all you need is gaskets. From what I hear, this costs about $800;

3) if you need heads, you can buy new ones (about $800 each) or rebuilt (prices vary from about $250 each to $600 each), for a grand total of around $2000-$2500, or

4) you can coat your old heads with a ceramic compound (a guy in Oregon apparently does this...search the listaa)....or with another type of bonding compound....I do not have the name of it here...(search the list...i will look on my laptop for the posts i saved from those who helped me) but it apparently has been used on a dozen or more heads successfully. These treatments make it unnecessary to purchase new or rebuilt heads and protect your heads from recurrence of the same problem, so they have real appeal if you have the time. Total cost here should be around $800-$900; or

5) Buy a new rebuilt engine for from $1800 to $2500. Get a vw rebuilt if you can afford it. Most recommend not going this route unless your compression is not good or there are over 120,000 miles on the engine.

VW had entered into a mediation/arbitration plan with the FTC over head gasket and other engine problems. that ended last year. However, I hear that if you owned the vehicle most of its life and/or can demonstrate regular coolant changes and good maitenance record, VWA may still pick up some of the cost. Can't hurt to try.

Good luck...I'm probably next...

steve '90 syncro westy san francisco