Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Oct 1997 12:15:16 -0400
From:         Jim Davis <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Luggage Racks
Comments: To: wlail@ou.edu

In a message dated 97-10-05 11:47:08 EDT, you (Warren Lail) write:

<< The BIG project I wish to undertake is a two piece roof rack. I want one which conforms to the shape of the top and which stretches from end to end (custom made, of course). Do any of you know someone who is particularly proficient at rack-making or manufacturing? I can provide drawings. Of course, I want the rack to be strong but light, i.e., made of some hollow tubing of some kind. In addition, I am thinking of having a ladder made to go up from the front bumper in front of the windshield on the passenger side. Semi permanent mounted, I think. Has anyone tried this before? Many thanks. Warren Lail 81 Westy BaseCamp >>

You may not need to have one custom made. I see three alternatives to a custom made luggage rack.

1. Purchase 2-3 sets of Thule or Yakima roof racks and accessories and you can have a lot of flexinility in setting up a system that's right for each trip.

2. Purchase a rack (or 2) from Conn-Ferr Manufacturing. They make luggage racks of all shapes & sizes to mount on rain gutters like Vanagon's have. These are very durable, popluar, well regarded among four-wheelers. Contact Conn-Ferr in Burbank, CA at: (818)848-2025 or (818)848-2230 or (818)848-6993 or (213)849-1800 or FAX them at (818)848-1011. No, I'm not affiliated with Conn-Ferr and don't even own one. I'm just looking at their ad in "4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine".

3. Purchase a roof rack that's already made for a Vanagon. I have one of these that I bought used. VW sold them through dealers when they were still selling Vanagons. VW did not make them, but had someone make them to fit Vanagons. These have similar tube construction to ones made for earlier buses. I suspect these would be difficult to find. Mine is about 1/2 the length of the Vanagon's roof and I think they made one smaller (1/3 length) and larger (3/4 length).

I think you'd be on your own for the ladder. Perhaps one could be adapter from RV use to fit the Vanagon.

Good luck, Jim Davis