Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Oct 1997 16:41:49 -0400
From:         Lash Briggs <Lash_Briggs@MAIL.MBA.WFU.EDU>
Subject:      Windsheild Installation
Comments: cc: "WARREN K. LAIL" <wlail@OU.EDU>

Warren,

I just replaced my windshield in my 81. Twas pretty easy, except getting the old one out. I found a windshield at a junkyard and wanted to use my existing seal. I had to beat out the existing glass with a hammer, which was and still is quite a mess. I recommend taping the windshield all over if you're going to use that method. If you buy a new seal, the job is at least a whole lot less messy, because you can just cut the old seal out and lift out the old windshield, as I did at the junkyard. Once you get the old windshield and seal out, wrap the seal around the new windshield and then take string and run it around the outside groove of the seal, so it goes all the way around and overlaps itself. Then fit the bottom part of the windshield into the VW frame, and with a screwdriver or something begin to slip the lip of the seal over the frame. Make sure the ends of the string that is strung around the seal are inside the van. When you get it spaced correctly and begin to get it in, you can then pull the string around the seal from the inside of the van in a manner with pulls the lip of the seal over and into the inside edge of the VW frame. Just pull all the way around until the inside lip is all the way in. This job takes a little patience and pushing, but it will go in. It took me about an hour and a half one a.m. before work. I don't recommend the hammer removal, as I spend the rest of the a.m. in the hospital getting a sliver of glass removed from my eye. ;) Ouch. Having a couple doctors hanging over your stretched open eye with black lights and dye isn't that much fun. And they had nice breath...I'm glad they weren't coffee drinkers.

Good luck!