Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:59:43 -0400
From:         William Dummitt <williamd@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Don't be afraid to look at a dead ECU

About a year ago my 87 camper went DEAD. No spark, no nothing-turned out

to be a dead ECU. A scenario followed that will be familiar to many listmembers-nationwide parts search, finally got a used one and after weeks got it running. I considered it an unserviceable black box and just put the old one on a shelf in my garage. This weekend I was piddling around and, despite my minimal knowledge of electronics, decided to take it apart and see if there was anything decipherable that could be seen. Sure enough, between two contacts sat a tiny washer, the same kind of washer that was used to hold the green board in place. I removed said washer, put this formerly dead unit back in the van and it started right up. Continued to restart on multiple tries. Didn't quite have the courage to leave it in and drive anywhere I couldn't walk back from, but I may have a spare ECU.

Moral is- don't be bashful-look inside.

Bill 87 camper and another 87 camper