Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Oct 1997 20:07:20 -0400
From:         Gary Clendening <garyc@SATURN.CAPS.MAINE.EDU>
Subject:      Norcold analysis

Fellow Norcold owners,

The high altitude kit is in and I've done some study of the problems that we have all written of concerning the fridge in our Eurovans.

1. I do think it's very important to keep the thing close to level.

2. Our flame went out once before we got the high altitude kit. We left the van for the morning exercises in the toilets and returned to see...no flame. This was after a full night's running fine. I believe the flame can be snuffed out by the air pressure created when closing the large hatch in back; maybe even the doors could do it. Tried to kill the flame this afternoon after the extra kit was installed...could not kill the flame, even when all the doors were closed at the same time.

Would someone without the high altitude kit try closing the doors to see if the flame in the standard Norcold can be snuffed out by the increased air pressure? Try it with the van out of perfect level position to really test the theory.

3. Possible analysis; if the van is: (a) out of level (b) without the high altitude kit (c) you close the large doors/hatches I think these would contribute to the flame being killed.

Well, "Let's have a little music, Ray." and test this combination to see! (G)

Wish you were here, Gary Gary and Belle from Hallowell, ME garyc@saturn.caps.maine.edu '72 Westy (gone to iron oxide) '97 EVC "Flash"