Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Oct 1997 08:59:04 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Binding when turning

I feel certain that this is the VC going bad, which it does very slowly over time, and eventually will be full on all the time.

I feel almost certain this is not the diff lock or the CV joints or the diff itself--that it is the VC. I have this same problem.

At 10:37 PM 10/5/97 -0700, you wrote: >I have recently encountered a problem like this. It has only happened >on long highway trips, over an hour. When I pull off the highway into >say a gas station and turn sharply on pavement, it takes a lot of >throttle to make the vanagon move. It feels the same as if I was >driving with the diff lock on. It has only happend a few times. I >have tried engaging the diff lock and then disengaging again and it >went away. Once I didn't do anything and it went away. > >Can the diff lock engage by itself? Heat? Vacuum leak? If the diff >lock is engaged without using the vacuum actuator, would the light on >the dash come on? Mine doesn't, only when I pull the knob. > >I can feel the one of the rear tires dragging, so I am fairly sure it >isn't the VC. > >Peter Pistner >91 Synchro > > ___________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY drew@interport.net