Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 1997 04:45:50 -0700
From:         "CARVER, JEFFREY D" <Jeffrey.Carver@AEROJET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Odometer Wheels Loose
Comments: To: "mtbowie@COMPUSERVE.COM" <mtbowie@COMPUSERVE.COM>

Mark -

It depends on exactly which year/model odometer you have. Different for different years. Bottom line is that friction holds the shaft in place. Silly design to expect a rotating shaft to not move axially without restraint. I tried to fab a stop that touched the end of the shaft to keep it from moving. Either my fab work or whatever prevented that from working.

I eventually ended up finding two broken instrument cluster housings for $50, and mixing and matching with my own resulted in two functioning clusters. I used the gear from the sliding shaft odo and put it on a odo that had a broken gear. If you have an unbroken gear, you are lucky. They break easily when resetting trip odo while moving.

I overpaid for the broken clusters BTW.

- Jeff Iwanna21/23windowsunroofDeluxe! '80 Westi(2) '67 Sqbk '64 Ford Crewcab '87 Subaru 4WD (4 Sale) '97 Nissan Quest Grass Valley, California, USA Jeffrey.Carver@Aerojet.com - - - - - - - - -snip - - - - - - - - My odometer stopped turning last week, and it appeared that the mileage counter wheels were falling away from the face of the instrument panel on=

the right side (low digits). Sure enough when I removed the speedometer, the axle the wheels turn on had fallen out of the plastic "bearing" on th= e right side. I was able to push the axle back through from the other side,=

but couldn't figure out how to make it stay. I put it back in the dash, a= nd sure enough it worked for about a mile before it fell out again. I've searched the archives and haven't found an answer to this particular=

problem, any ideas on what holds it in place?

MTB