Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:30:13 -0400
From:         PACO <"PACO @ 28th (PACO)%New York Media Group"@MCIMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Heaters & solar panels (long)

Text item: Text Item

Gail; wrote: >Clark, thanks for all the info. i was off the list for a few wks this >summer, so don't know if you've discussed this already --- would you be >willing to share some info on your solar panel, where you got it, who/how >installed, costs, etc.? Also, is there a place to look up the Platinum Cat >and Propex heaters?

Gail, I just saw someone post there installation notes about the Cat heater to the list. In addition, I posted my installation and contact information on this heater earlier this summer. I'm sure you'll find lots of info including my own particular installation method in the archives.

As for the Solar Panel, I purchase the system components from an outfit called Jade Mountain. I actually received the tip to order their catalog from the Vanagon List. I think it was "Martha", who I don't know except to have read her submissions to the list that first found this resource.

Anyway, Jade Mountain is a wealth of information on alternative energy systems. The three options that I considered were a small gasoline generator, a small wind turbine and a solar panel. It was a close call as they each have advantages and disadvantages.

The wind turbine was ruled out because you needed to use almost all of the under-seat area to house the turbine. The generator was both reliable and extremely quite (<40db) but I didn't want to have to carry 2 cycle gas and fill the tank and plug it all in and generally assemble the system every time.

The solar panel system I went with consists of a 100 watt Solec panel that feeds a small regulator that aggressively charges my aux. battery and trickle charges my starting battery. The limiting factor was the size of my aux battery which is rated at 75 amp hours. With the help of the tech guy at JM we determined that I could get 4 hours of light from the dome light, 2 hours of the radio playing, 14 hours of running the Cat heater with 10 ignition cycles (it uses considerably more energy to light the propane than to run the exhaust fan) and watch a VCR/movie for about 25 to 30 amps. As I live in the Northeast the statistics say that an average winter day provides 4 hours of sunlight and with a 100 watt panel I should be able to replenish the 30 amps in a day. Of course, the power output curves on solar panels are surprising in that the juice you get out of them drops dramatically as soon as it gets a little cloudy or hazy. I figure I can go two days without the sun shinning at all and then I'll have to run the engine or something.

The solar solution although clean, quite and safe is expensive. $500 for the panel, $135 for the regulator, $60 for the panel mounting hardware, $50 in miscellaneous fuses, wire, 12 volt outlets, etc. I went to the local car stereo installation place and bribed the guy to work with me on the installation. So basically I did it myself, but he had the tools, connectors, wire and grommets that were needed for the drilling and mounting. (Plus he had an indoor garage which I don't) So, I paid him $100 which brought the grand total to $845. This is a lot of money considering you could get a small battery charger for under $100 if you have access to "shore power".

So you can get info about Jade Mountain at www.jademountain.com and you'll find them helpful about discussing options. No, I don't work for them.

If you would like specifics on the model #'s and installation just send some Email to pacocarr@compuserve.com and I'll look it up of my notes at home.

Hope this helps you, -Clark