Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Oct 1997 17:04:23 -0400
From:         Caryl Bergeron <world_cyclists@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Misc parts needed and other questions

We are relatively new Westfalia owners and have a lot of miscelaneous questions.

1. We need to find a good source for inexpensive, aftermarket parts for the camper. In particular we're looking for a replacement window screen for the sliding door that costs less than the $50 Volkswagon price, a new plastic vent for the fiberglass top (the one that lifts with the roller mechanism) that's less than the $150 VW price, and if possible a new flip

down steel cover for the burners (the one that came on the US Westfalia version and acts as a drain into the sink). 2. We've heard there is someone who makes a snap-on screen that covers the entire sliding door space. Does someone know the name, address, and phone no. of this person or company? 3. We plan to live in the VW in the winters and store it in the summers while we travel around on bicycle. Therefore, it will be sitting for up to 6 months at a time. Is there anything special we should do to prevent having any engine, a/c, or other troubles when we restart it after sitting so long? 4. We want to ship it to Europe for a multiyear tourist trip. We will not be working. We would like to retain registration in the U.S as we hear this is easier than registering in Europe. Is this possible? Are there unusual problems we may encounter with import paperwork, required equipment modifications, insurance, etc? Is there one country that is a better place to ship it than any other? Will we have any difficulty with the propane tank; i.e. are the fill valves common between Europe and the US? Should we consider having the catalytic converter removed so we can take it into any country where perhaps unleaded gas is hard to find? 5. What happens if the water in the camper tank freezes? Should we keep that tank empty in winter? 6. Being relatively short and having zero upper body strength I find I cannot lift the top without help. Has anyone ever tried adding hydraulic

lifters to make it easier? Any other suggestions? 7. We find in real hot weather the fridge does just a so-so job. Forget making any ice cubes, we're lucky to see 55 to 60 deg F. Could there be something wrong or is that just the way it works? 8. Is there any company that publishes a good repair and maintenance

manual for the water cooled Vanagons? We have the factory repair and service manual, the big green one. But it's not very good. We'd sure like to find something like a Chilton's with detailed step-by-step instructions. 9. Is there a maintenance list somewhere? The kind that says after each

10,000 miles you do this, each 20,000 do that, etc?

Please reply to world_cyclists@compuserve.com as I cannot access the mail

list directly at this time.

Thanks for the help Caryl Bergeron