Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Oct 1997 19:10:40 -0400
From:         George Averill <averill@LDL.NET>
Subject:      Front heater problem
Comments: To: pgh@UNX.DEC.COM

Congratulations! I have the same problem with my 84. I have the replacement clips to use to put the heater housing back together after splitting it in half (see Bentley). I haven't tackled the job as yet. The dealer has ordered two new break away bolts for the steering column. I'm still looking for the procedure for removing the dash. I understand that the steering wheel has to be dropped and the dash completely removed before the heater box can be accessed. Then it should be easy to get to the motor.(?) Some say the problem may be the motor. Others say the dropping resistor may also have blown. I suspect the problem is just the motor. Here is some of the information I have collected on the subject. Let me know if you find out how to drop the dash!

George (Columbus, GA)

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 08:26:14 -0500 Reply-To: JFleming3@compuserve.com Originator: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Sender: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Precedence: none From: "John H. Fleming" <JFleming3@compuserve.com> To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> Subject: Front heater motor replacement

Does the dash have to be removed? Does the stearing wheel drop down out = of the way? Any idea of a replacement part? I don't know if the dropping resistor is also burned out.

The archives have a good description of this project. I will be doing it=

later this year.

You do have to drop the steering wheel (need to drill out the breakoff bolts) and remove the dash. It's lots of unscrewing, but pretty straightforward. One person can do it (lifting the dash out and in is a little awkward). (To reattach the steering you need two new breakoff bolts from the dealer.) The Bentley manual describes the process very well. After the dash is out, you need to separate the halves of the heater housing and pull out the blower. The one on our 87 gradually got slower and slower, then froze and blew the fuse (new fuses blew in about 5 sec). Do you have the right size in that circuit?

Dave 87 Wolfsburg 90 Westfalia

At 08:02 PM 6/10/97 -0500, Geo. & Ellen Averill wrote: >Does anyone know of an easy way remove the fan motor in the front heater >of an 85 camper? My fan motor filled the van with smoke before I could >figure out what was burning. I thought the woods were on fire until I >opened the window to see where the fire was. It was then that I discovered >that the fire was above my feet! Luckily, it finally blew the fuse!

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 08:48:57 -0500 Reply-To: katsuki@bbn.com Originator: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Sender: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Precedence: none From: David Katsuki <katsuki@bbn.com> To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> Subject: Re: Front heater motor replacement

You do have to drop the steering wheel (need to drill out the breakoff bolts) and remove the dash. It's lots of unscrewing, but pretty straightforward. One person can do it (lifting the dash out and in is a little awkward). (To reattach the steering you need two new breakoff bolts from the dealer.) The Bentley manual describes the process very well. After the dash is out, you need to separate the halves of the heater housing and pull out the blower. The one on our 87 gradually got slower and slower, then froze and blew the fuse (new fuses blew in about 5 sec). Do you have the right size in that circuit?

Dave 87 Wolfsburg 90 Westfalia

At 08:02 PM 6/10/97 -0500, Geo. & Ellen Averill wrote: >Does anyone know of an easy way remove the fan motor in the front heater >of an 85 camper? My fan motor filled the van with smoke before I could >figure out what was burning. I thought the woods were on fire until I >opened the window to see where the fire was. It was then that I discovered >that the fire was above my feet! Luckily, it finally blew the fuse!

>Does the dash have to be removed? Does the stearing wheel drop down out of >the way? Any idea of a replacement part? I don't know if the dropping >resistor is also burned out.

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:15:01 -0500 Reply-To: marokus@voyager.net Originator: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Sender: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Precedence: none From: "Mark A. Rokus" <marokus@voyager.net> To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> Subject: Re: Front heater motor replacement

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- The first thing you do is get a big cutting torch.... no not really. When I did mine it became painfully obvious that it was the first thing they started with and then built the van around it!! You have to remove almost everything up front to get to it. Bentleys manual covers enough to get the job done. I highly recommend that you take the time to lubricate the replacement before you go through all of that again. My replacement came form Parts Place and was almost as tight as the one that siezed in the first place. The real hassle is getting the fan off of the shaft to lube the front bearing. Patience and careful prying. I'm not sure what to advise for lubricant, I used some grease that was made for slot car motors. Maybe something from a hobby shop that they use in RC cars. Took the better part of 4 hours but I'm sure glad I wasn't paying shop labor rates!!! Good luck Mark

In stead of drilling the breakoff bolts you can use vice grips and re use them. A lot of different blower motors will fit the vanagon front blower. the first one I used was from a 79 or so rabbit. Good luck.

Rob becida@bji.net