Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:14:31 PDT
From:         adam grove <malchik_2@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Add one Vanagon sycro to the AK stats

HI all, I have been one of the shamless lurkers for some time on the list while I waited for my 91 westy sycro to arrive. Since it was in Kansas and I am in Alaska it took some time. It arrived two weeks ago right before I left the country for two weeks! Now I am back and all I want to do is drive and camp!

The details: A white 91 westy sycro which the original owner (who I bought it from) had purchased in Germany and drove in europe for a few months before returning to Kansas to fit it out for his African adventures. He added numerous features - the most significant of which are a second fuel tank (the regular vanagon one up front) which adds an additional 17 gallons or so. Another 6 gallons of propane and an incredible skidplate which covers the entire belly of the van from axle to axle and protects all the tneder parts. The van was immaculate and all add-ons were done very professionally. The PO was a restorer of vintage aircraft and it shows in this van. To complete the tale, the PO unforutnately became quite ill and the trip was postponed. The van sat and finally he was ready to try again when he suffered a relapse. He finally recovered and decided this was one dream he would have to give up on. I got the van from him with 39K miles.

I have owned a 73 Westy for over 12 years and loved it. So much that I cannot give it up yet so the driveway is full! The vanagon is a beauty to drive incomparison and the visibility is so much better. I'm still convinced that the 73 with the FI 2 litre engine I added had more power though. The other thing I miss is our BA-6 heater which I installed in the 73. I am working on trying to come up with a heater for the sycro. (I'm following in Blakes footsteps here it seems.)

Enough for now. Thanks for the list! It was an invaluable source of info when I was looking and is now even more so since I have a syncro in my driveway.

Adam Anchorage, AK

91 Syncro Westie 73 Westy 73 and 78 Saab 99's Mercades Unimog or G-wagen (I'm dreaming!)