Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Oct 1997 20:50:32 -0400
From:         Judith Barr / Leo Girard <lgirard@BMTS.COM>
Subject:      Suburu conversion manual and Subie powered airplane

Hi again

A few weeks back I posted a cry for help re replacing some coolant pipes under my "85 Vanagon that were Canadian-winter vandalized. You all were nice enough to provide many helpful suggestions. I was seeking the address of Tim Smith at the U of New Brunswick whom I did finally contact. He was nice enough to send me a detailed treatise on how to accomplish the feat in question. It was originally posted in June '97. In chasing down a local tip about someone who was rumored to have done the same job in nearby Owen Sound Ontario I came across an interesting character and vanhead. Unfortunately he wasn't of direct assistance as his job involved a Suburu conversion (à la Kennedy) in a Type I where he used copper as a coolant conduit beneath the van. I also noticed a partially built light aircraft with another Subie providing the power. Since there have been many recent postings about Suburu Conversions, I thought I'd pass this along. It may be of interest to Type I owners (maybe someone who is on both pages might relay this to the Type I-ers). His name and address are as follows: Bill Hall (Type A mechanic and airplane buider) 1280 3rd Ave E Apt 1 Owen Sound Ontario Canada N4K 2L5 [519] 372-1560

He has written a 14 page manual on how to do the conversion in a Type I with a Legacy. I think he wants about $35 CDN [c.25 U$). It is extremely detailed and complete.

He has a computer but is not,as yet, on Internet. If anyone has a question about his conversion or his airplane, they should phone, write him or e-mail me. I would relay a message.

Thanks

Leo