Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:36:32 -0700
From:         Chris & Aimee <uzzi@AIMNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Synthetic Oil(s)
Comments: To: s_j_wacker@JUNO.COM

Several replies from the list have stated that 5-50 may be a bit high in the viscosity range 9or is it low???). In other words the flowability rate is too high, and may cause the motor to react to the varying oil pressure (???? I think I have this right ????). At any rate I think I am leaning towards a 20/50 or 20/40. Bentley suggests a 20/50 or 20/40 in mineral oils. Maybe someone knows if this is different running synth oils.

As for the milage on my Westy, around 7k is correct, on the motor that is. I bought her about a month and a half ago and she had around 63k original miles, and 6k on a new motor. I have since put on well over 1k. Apparently, the original owner blew the motor while not paying attention to the flashing RED light on the dash (turns out she blew a radiator hose or something)!!!

Take it easy!

Chris

At 08:21 AM 10/9/97 -0700, STEVEN G WACKER wrote: >Chris, >You asked why I choose 5-50 synthetic oil, understand I'm not an expert >in anything (well...almost). My understanding is that the synthetic oils >have been engineered so well as to give excellent protection in the full >range, something the mineral oils cannot do. So you have cold start >capability and protection at any temp. I'm sure one of our many well >educated list members can give a better explanation and I would like to >have it laid out in better detail. > >Now I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but do you really have only seven >thousand miles on your Westy? Please don't be offended if it was a >mistake, I understand. I make mistakes also. Many of you may remember the >"bear hand" ordeal I caused!! : ) : ) > > >Steve and Jo Ann Wacker >San Marcos, Ca. >90 Carat >86 Syncro > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris & Aimee Uzzi uzzi@aimnet.com http://web.yahoo.com/cu/uzzi/ '90 Westy '72 Westy (deceased)