Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Oct 1997 00:46:18 UT
From:         Tom Brunson <TABRUN@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Synthetic Oil(s) (long)
Comments: To: Chris & Aimee Uzzi <uzzi@AIMNET.COM>

While I'm not a CHEMICAL engineer, I've worked a lot on the mechanical side selecting lubricants for a range of industrial products; and I've used synthetics since the mid 70s in my cars. For a while I even got an Amsoil dealer license so I could buy at dealer pricing; but have never sold the stuff, so this isn't a sales pitch. However the monthly Amsoil dealer newsletter has had a lot of semi-technical articles about oil properties and what makes for a good "real-world" engine lubricant.

As mentioned in the referenced "snake oil" article Amsoil also dismissed the miracle additives and the "drained all the oil" demos. When Castrol 5W50 first came out they also cautioned that such a wide range may not be desirable - a modern engine designed for 5W30 could find it too heavy when at temperature and highway speed. (Yes, an oil can be too viscous and cause oil pressure to be too high - opening bypass and relief valves and not going where it should.)

Good synthetic oils get a wide viscosity range from their base stock without VI (viscosity improvers) additives which tend to break down with use. Good synthetics show almost no viscosity change after extended use, while conventional oils often thin-out, or sludge up as the VIs wear out. (The base stock even of petroleum oils lasts - but need the additives to keep lubricating well.)

Synthetic oils also have MUCH higher film-strength that conventional oils (say 10x), and don't need as much additive package as a result. Early synthetic gear and transmission oils were just repackaged synthetic engine oil - and they were good!

Synthetics are great for wide temperature ranges. Even the 20W50s stay very pumpable in winter temperatures. The new 0W30 and common 5W30 synthetics really do cut engine wear that occurs when cold engines start. If you drive where you have to start cold and accelerate hard to highway speeds (like my office - right on the freeway on-ramp at rush hour), these would be a good idea.

Synthetics do not wear out; Ford labs have run them over 100,000 miles in test engines - and then an individual engineer used the same oil in his own car for years (Popular Mechanics article mid-70s). However synthetics DO still get dirty, contaminated, and lose their additives with use. Amsoil was one of the first to push extending drain intervals. There are lots of cases of long distance truckers running the same oil for 100,000 to 300,000 miles - even putting the old oil into a replacement engine. However to do so the regular filter is still changed at normal intervals, and a bypass ultra-fine filter is also used; and oil samples are sent in yearly for analysis. (I guess if they're not selling you as much oil they want to sell you an analysis.) Usually the oil that is added as it is consumed and as filters are replaced will renew the additives in this kind of use. Amsoil sells bypass filter kits and oil analysis kits too.

I think Amsoil is about as good as it gets - but I haven't used it for years. I've been using Mobile 1 and Valvoline in different vehicles due to much lower cost and because I still prefer to change oil about 7500 miles (filter at 3000). Having just torn down a 2.1 with over 100,000 on Mobile 1 and then Valvoline it is very clean and shows negligible wear. (Heads were corroded - should have used synthetic WATER.)

Also, after years of claiming Amsoil was better than any other oil, suddenly they came out with the expensive new Series 2000 oils, and now talk about how much better they are than other oils; and show test results that prove it. BUT THEY NEVER SHOW TEST RESULTS COMPARING SERIES 2000 TO OLDER AMSOIL. I figure either they want you to pay a lot more for very minor improvement, or maybe the old oils suddenly don't compare as well??? Although they make good stuff, Amsoil is really a MARKETING company - and I don't care for the way they market.

Here in Texas I use 20W50 synthetics year round in waterboxers, and usually 10W40 in the "Audilet" VWs. They cost a bit more, but I like not changing oil as often (with all our cars), and I keep cars a LONG time and a LOT of miles.

Tom Austin '87, '91, '97 Vans; 62 ragtop, '86 cab