Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Oct 1997 06:00:14 -0400
From:         Gregg Carlen & Anna Tumarkin <webdesign@IAFC.ORG>
Subject:      Re: luggage rack
Comments: To: jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US

Jim Fritz wrote:

<< I don't intend to tow the sailboat BUT I have an 18.5 ft. kevlar canoe that I'd like to be able to mount on top. It only weighs 42 lbs. but the wind can really "rack" the thing around if it gusts. My concern is this: Can the top of the Westies handle this type of twisting? If so, do the gas shocks on the pop-top have enough oommph to hold the canoe up or would I need to unload the canoe everynight (and chain it to the axle!)>>

I put my 16ft aluminum canoe on top of my 85 Westy with foam blocks. I tie down the front and rear to the bumpers and a 'safety' strap accross the canoe attaching to the rain gutter just behind the driver and passenger front doors. (I use three motorcycle tie down straps).

Wind isn't a problem. In fact, I find that I get about 3-4 mpg better than without it on the highway.

The pop top isn't held up by gas shocks (at least my 85 isn't). Its held in place by a folding bar assembly. (Kinda like locking your elbow - or so my 5 year old tells me). It would seem kinda awkward to keep the canoe on top. I unload it everynight. Takes longer to unhook my tie down straps than it does to actually take the canoe down.

I don't chain my canoe to anything although I do carry a chain and lock in case. I generally try to take my family only to places where locking things and safety are not a concern. If it is, then maybe we're not camping at the right place. Once we 'set up' camp, things are pretty much unsecure when we go fishing or on a hike, etc...

Thats my 2 cents. BTW, I alternate towing a hobie cat sail boat (for sale ... shameless plug) and a 3 rail motorcycle trailer (with Goldwing) behind my van. Been doing it for years and works great if you don't mind draining the remaining power left in a 1.9l after you put your foot on the gas pedal. :-)

Happy Camping!

Gregg Carlen 85 Westy 76 Goldwing 51 Plymouth 75 Mercedes ... need more toys!