Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Oct 1997 08:16:54 -0700
From:         John Thomas <jthomas@CRUZIO.COM>
Subject:      84 Cooling System Problem

A couple of weeks ago we drove our Westy down to San Diego. We stopped in LA for dinner ( about an hour). When we started back out, as we started to leave the parking lot, the red temperature warning light started to blink and the temperature gauge slowly went all the way to the right. By this time it was 8:PM, dark and no place to call for help at that time, so I got out a flashlight looking for an obvious problem.

The overflow/refill tank was Full! Not just at Max but completely full. I know at the start of the trip it was half way between the Min and Max marks. I couldn't tell with a flashlight what the level in the expansion tank was because it is so stained. Anyway, I wiggled various wires, banged on things, and then tried again. It would immediately do the same thing (red blinking light, temperature gauge to the max.) I would do some more fiddling, try again, same thing. One of the last things that I did was remove the cap on the expansion cap to see what the level was. It appeared to be full. The next time I tried it, the blinking light did not come on and the temperature gauge started at cold and slowly warmed up to normal. After having a beer to celebrate, accepting a hug from Audrey for having "fixed" the problem, we continued on to San Diego with one eye fixed on the temperature gauge.

At this point, I was not sure what part of my fiddling had fixed the problem, but because both the blinking light had come on AND the temperature gauge had gone to the max., I discounted the possibility of a low coolant problem and decided it must have been a stuck thermostat that somehow had become unstuck. QUESTION: Would a low coolant problem cause both the blinking light and the temperature gauge to slowly rise to max.?

The next day in San Diego, I found a VW shop that could look at it that day and described the problem and my thought that it was the thermostat. He replaced the thermostat (with an 80 degree model) but he said the old one appeared to be relatively new (and also an 80 degree model). He also replaced the cap on the expansion tank because he found that it was not holding pressure. QUESTION: Would the expansion cap cause the problem we saw?

On the return trip, as we passed through LA again, we got trapped in stop and go traffic on a hot day, and at one point somebody next to us honked and said we were dripping coolant. At this point the temperature gauge was only a little bit above the normal mark, but fearing the worst, we pulled into a shopping center. Once more the overflow/refill tank was completely full and I could tell it had overflowed. This time I could see the coolant level in the expansion tank was about 2 inches low. So we let it cool for an hour, then I removed the cap on the expansion tank and this released the air and it filled it self. (probably what happened on the trip down) We then continued on and everything seemed normal.

I am watching the system now and I have not seen any further problems, the expansion tank seems to be full, the refill tank is between min and max. and it is not overheating. But we have not been taking any trips of more than an hour and the weather is cooling down.

So now I don't know if I really have a problem or not. Is it normal for the expansion tank to get air in it? If not, what could cause it and what could I do to find where the air is leaking into the system?

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience anyone can give me.